Found lumps in neck, painless and hard. Biopsy showed abnormal cells. Worried?

Oncologist, Surgical
I found 2 lumps in my neck, painless and hard. The right was bigger than the left and was more rounded (like a grape). I had biopsy which showed abnormal cells, mri and ct scan and the lump removed but have i got lymphoma? I am worried sick. Have to go back for results. The specialist did mention lymphoma but not sure what type, stage etc. Mentioned would need chemo to shrink the other lump and radiation and as with all cancers a specialist cancer nurse would be assigned!!!! I am so not sure what to think. The left lump is smaller and still there and is now 10 weeks (9 weeks for the right one which got removed last week)
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. From your description of the lump and the report, it unfortunately looks like a lymphoma. The type of lymphoma can only be commented on a biopsy and that is why the lump was removed and sent for examination. Staging would be confirmed by the CT and MRI reports.
The treatment for such lymphomas is chemotherapy and radiotherapy and your oncologist will explain the whole schedule to you depending on the type of lymphoma.
As surgery is not a treatment option in such cases, that is why they have not addressed the other lump in the neck. This would respond to the chemotherapy.

Hoping for the best. Please feel to clarify any other query.
Follow-up: Found lumps in neck, painless and hard. Biopsy showed abnormal cells. Worried? 3 minutes later
Ok! Thank you. I kind of prepared myself that it is cancer due to the abnormal cells in the first needle biopsy, hence a second one was done and then a week later the surgeon saying lump would have to be removed and then he mentioned lymphoma, different types and like said chemo (maybe through tablet form), radiotherapy, other lump would shrink hence no further surgery, a specialist oncology nurse linked to lymphoma would be assigned to me but I guess part of me still wanted to feel I heard wrong, am wrong.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 16 minutes later
I am glad that I could answer your query. Hoping for the best.