Found lump under skin between elbow and wrist. Is this the cause of concern?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have just found a lump under my skin in my árm bwteen the albow and my wrist. Its not round but more flat.......hard in one end and softer else where.............
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
You are describing some kind of subcutaneous lesion.
In most cases this is benign conditon caused by lipoma, fibroma, atheroma or varix veins.Also trauma or insect bite can cause it as well. Do you notice any redness or pain around it, or pus formation ? If not ,it means that it isnt infected and you shouldnt be worried. In very rare cases some of malignancies can manifest on this way, but to rule this out you can do ultrasound of this lump with needle aspiration. After that it can be treated by "wait and see" or it can be easily surgicaly removed and sent to analysis.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"