Found lump on breast and feels achy but appearance is good. Disappeared after some time. What could it be?

Question
Hi, I am one week before my period is due and I've found a small pea like lumpy stuff on my left breast and my left breast feels a bit achy or so. But the appearance of both breasts look fine. However when I touch it few hours later, I cant seem to find the lump as of now. Is it a serious issue or am I just being too paranoid? My breast is relatively small on the other hand.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 55 minutes later
Dear,

It is very good from you that you examine your breasts. Monthly self-examination together with annual mammography is a policy for early detection of breast cancer after the age of 35.

The most common thing at your age is names "fibroadenosis" or "the breast mouse". It feels like a small mass, size of a pea, olive or even a lemon. In addition, is characterized by its mobility inside the breast tissue.

Try to examine yourself another time and if you find this lump, again you should visit your doctor and have a mammography.

Signs that make you worry include: nipple retraction, bloody discharge, skin changes like edema, dimpling, retraction or ulceration, presence of a fixed mass...

I think there is nothing serious and you are too young for this.
I hope I have answered your query and will be happy to hear from you.

Good luck
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa

Follow-up: Found lump on breast and feels achy but appearance is good. Disappeared after some time. What could it be? 26 minutes later
Thanks for the assurance. Would like to ask why do I feel that small pea size lump when I do my breast examination standing up but when I did my breast examination lying flat, I cant feel that small lump anymore? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 20 minutes later

This description makes the diagnosis of "fibroadenosis" more likely as it is mobile.

Another point is you may notice that it can be felt easily between you hands when using the inner surface of your fingers, but very difficult to feel by the tips of your fingers.

I suggest you visit your doctor to confirm what we say and have a mammography.

Waiting to hear from you and please inform me the results of your doctor visit.

Good luck
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa

Follow-up: Found lump on breast and feels achy but appearance is good. Disappeared after some time. What could it be? 1 hour later
Hi but is this a serious issue that requires a surgery to be removed? I mean if its fibroadenosis. Or is it just because my period is coming in a week's time?

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 14 minutes later
You seem to be worried. I want to reassure you as there is nothing to worry about.
When you do a mammography your doctor will reach a definitive diagnosis. Even if it was fibroadenosis as I assume, it is not surgically removed except if painful or causing cosmetic disfigurement.
There is no urgency to visit your doctor now, you may wait after your period and if it disappears there will be no need to do anything.
I hope these words relieve your anxiety and wish you good luck.
Will be happy to answer more questions.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.

Follow-up: Found lump on breast and feels achy but appearance is good. Disappeared after some time. What could it be? 24 hours later
Thanks! I will most probably wait till my period has come and do another self examination to check if its still there. Yea, I was being overly worried as most of the people around me had to undergo surgery when they found a hard lump on their breast. So I thought that all lumps on the breast will have to be remove via surgery. And also, are there any medication to treat fibroadenosis? And is it true that usually soft, small and movable lumps does not require surgical removal?Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 35 minutes later
I am happy to feel that some of your tension is relieved.
There are no medications to treat fibroadenosis, although their size may be affected by the hormonal changes in the body (I.e. pregnancy).
Yes, most probably small soft freely mobile lumps will not require removal, but after proper assessment by mammography and the surgeon.
Many thanks and good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.