Found lump on abdomen. Should I be concerned for liposarcoma?

My mom just discovered two lumps, under the skin, on her abdomen. Should I be concerned about liposarcoma?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Most painless, sub-cutaneous (below the skin) lumps that are accidentally discovered are harmless lipomas and these actually are pretty common. So, the lumps on your Mom's abdomen are also very likely to be lipomas.

However, the following are the signs which may be worrisome and warrant further evaluation:
- a hard lump, especially with an irregular surface
- a sudden increase (growth) in the size of the lump
- sudden changes in colour, shape or consistency of the lump
- any skin changes (like redness, ulceration, colour change) over the lump
- recent loss of significant amount of weight (more than 10% of the usual weight)

So, if she does not have any of the above signs, then you needn't worry about her lumps. You can ask her to just keep a watch for any such signs in the future also.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow-up: Found lump on abdomen. Should I be concerned for liposarcoma? 4 minutes later
She goes to the Dr on Wednesday, I will inform you of any changes or updates. I also told her that it was more than likely a lipoma but due to her age and the hardness of it I want to make sure. Thank you Dr I have been a wreck all morning.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 13 minutes later
Sure, you're welcome. It's good to have it checked, in case you are in doubt about the hardness.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar