Found lump inside the opening of anus. Hurts while bowel movement. Is there a way to cure it at home?

I found a little lump just inside the opening of my anus. It hurts when my poo is hard, it bleeds sometimes and the size is a bit smaller than a pea its not actually round its like when you pinch your skin,the color is like yellowish and it hurts when touched. I've been experiencing blood in stool for months but i just ignore it because i dont feel any pain but now the lump is being painful when hard stool pass. Is there a way to cure it at home?It is so embarrasing to consult my doctor please help. Thank you very much
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The most likely cause of the symptoms what you are experiencing is related to hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation as well with bowel movements.

The best treatment for this usually includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H which is available over the counter. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone serves to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

In addition, lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1) A Normal American diet lacks right amount of fibre. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Be a smart grocer, choose foods which have fibre more than 25gm in the nutrition information label

2) You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3) Application of local anesthetic gels and vaso constrictors like Preparation H are also useful.

4) However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Found lump inside the opening of anus. Hurts while bowel movement. Is there a way to cure it at home? 31 hours later
Do i really need to consult my doctor about this? Will this disappear with home remedy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The hemorrhoids will not completely disappear with the home remedy. It will only help in decreasing the pain and the inflammation around the area. You need to consult a general surgeon for specific management.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.