Found lump in the buttocks region. Could it be cyst or lipoma?

Hello, I discovered a small solid lump under the skin of my right buttocks about a month and a half ago. At first I didn't think anything of it but recently I've been feeling a dull ache in that general area of my right buttocks - very subtle but still noticeable. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor but it's not for another week.I do have problems with health anxiety so I've been worrying about it quite a bit lately. I've read about cysts and lipomas, but it's really the dull ache that started to worry me.
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 5 hours later
Hello. I can understand your concern. It's always a little disconcerting to find a lump on your body somewhere. Fortunately, the majority of such lumps in the buttocks are benign (lipomas, epidermoid cysts, sebaceous cysts, etc.). Oftentimes the discomfort associated with these lesions is simply due to sitting on them, which puts pressure on adjacent tissues.
That said, there are a few problems that can present as lumps in the buttocks that are more serious (e.g., peri-rectal abscesses). However, these conditions are typically associated with other symptoms, such as night sweats, pain with bowel movements, fever, chills or weight loss.
Obviously, it isn't possible to diagnose your problem without an examination. Statistically, your lump is most likely a benign problem that can be easily addressed. Lipomas and subcutaneous cysts can usually be removed in a physician's office under local anesthetic. For the time being, you might try getting a doughnut pillow and placing it on your chair so the lump is in the hole of the doughnut. This will relieve the pressure on surrounding structures. If your pain becomes severe or if you develop other symptoms, call your doctor to see if he/she can see you sooner, or go to the nearest ER or urgent care center. If things remain stable, it's okay to wait until your appointment.
I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!
Follow-up: Found lump in the buttocks region. Could it be cyst or lipoma? 2 days later
Thank you so much, this was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 1 hour later
You're most welcome. I hope things go well at your appointment.