Found lump in front of ear. Should I consult a doctor?

My 12 year old son has a small lump about the size of an M&M just in front on his right ear. It is located right about where the jaw bone joint is. It doesn't hurt him when you press it. It is firm but not rock hard. Should i be concerned and rush to a doctor?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common cause for a lesion in this area is an enlarged lymph node. Cervical lymph nodes are common in children because they suffer from frequent cold and sinus infections.The nodes normally respond to these infections and aid in their resolution.
If he had a recent infection then it would have enlarged as a result of this.IN that case then watch waiting is advised, the size would be noted and rechecked weekly for 3 to 4 weeks,it should resolve by this time.

If there is no history of recent infection (within the past 2 weeks), then you may want to consider taking him to his doctor to be assessed.The doctor will examine in and check for any others .
They can be found in other parts of the neck, under the chin, by the elbow, in the axilla and in the groin.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions