Found lump in breast and vagina. Mammogram and ultrasound detected large solid mass. Any thoughts?

I recently found a lump in my left breast. I was sent for a mammogram and ultrasound which detected that is is a large solid mass (7.5cm and maybe larger as my breast tissue is dense). They also detected a 3.5cm lump in my right breast. The biopsy results at this stage are inconclusive but the doctor said I must have them both removed urgently and if further testing does not clear them, they will remove both of my breasts!. I also have a lump n my vagina that was originally thought to be a cyst but has been confirmed as a solid mass containing the same type of tissues as the breast lumps. The doctors said this was not sounding good. i would really appreciate any thoughts you have about my situation. Thank you .
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is very unusual that despite these two biopsies that there is no conclusive results. This might suggest that additional biopsy might be necessary. Also the pathologist might need to send your tissue to a highly specialized facility such as Mayo Clinic.

If there is some suggestion that this is a malignant tumor this needs to be identified prior to any surgery. The reason why this is necessary is because very large tumors are usually treated with chemotherapy prior to surgery.

The chemotherapy will help to shrink the tumor and improve the likelihood that you have a Cure. also MRI of the best might be necessary in order to look at the remaining tissue.

I would seek a second opinion from a local oncologist in your area to get this treated definitively.

If you have a copy of the pathology report you could send that to my attention for review as well.

Thank you again for submitting the question. I can appreciate that you're dealing with a very stressful situation and I hope that I can help to ease some of your stress.

Dr. Robert