Found low RBC and WBC counts in a blood test. Any thoughts?

Sep 2012

I have low RBC and WBC counts. All other numbers are normal. RBC has always been low (right around 3.5 for the last three years). High saturation in iron profile: 66%, low Transferrin (195) and TIBC (246). I am a healthy 40 year old white female. Any thoughts?

Results from 1-30-2013:
WBC 3.8
RBC 3.83

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Look, every laboratory test should be correlated with the clinical findings.

From your report, I have found that the WBC count is mildly lower than normal. The same about the RBC. The number is mildly lower than normal.

Here other parameters of blood are very important. If, henoglobin, MCV, MCH, MCHC, PCV all are normal, then you have nothing to worry. This high saturation and low transferrin and TIBC is not very much important.

But, in case of low hemoglobin, MCV, MCHC and others, you have to do a HPLC study to rule out some minor abnormalities in hemoglobin.

Except that, a manual blood film examination is also very helpful to correlate these machine parameters.

Lastly, you should consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation. This is very much important. If your treating doctor finds any odd finding regarding hematological system, a bone marrow aspiration study should be considered.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.