Found knots on breast. Feeling nauseous. Noticed knot in armpit. What could be this?

General Surgeon
Hi, I'm 31 years old and at the age of 17 I found knots on my breasts. I had them checked and was told they were non-cancerous. At the age of 25, I was had to have surgery for cancer cells on my cervix. For the past 2 months I have been feeling nauseus off and on and throwing up. I thought I had the stomach flu that kept coming back because it had been going around. I recently found a tender knot, a little bigger than a pea in my right arm pit. I don't have insurance and am concerned and not sure what could be the cause of this or what I should do. Thanks for any help
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 38 minutes later

The right arm pit lump can be anything ranging from benign cyst, pustule, and lymph node to a more worrisome problem.

When did you first noticed it?
Do you also have any breast lump?
Any other symptoms (pain, soreness, lesions) suggesting infection in Right arm or hand?

I would suggest you XXXXXXX a physician so that the lump is examined. A careful examination and if needed a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) can be performed on the lump to identify the true nature of lump. In addition antibiotics might be prescribed to prevent inflammation.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hear from you. Also, feel free to ask if you more questions in mind.

Dr. Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Found knots on breast. Feeling nauseous. Noticed knot in armpit. What could be this? 6 hours later
I first noticed the lump about a week ago, there is tenderness where the lump is but nothing else there or on my arm. The only other symptoms I have are, nausea and vomitting off and on for the past 2 months. Also, always feeling tired. I still have the lumps I found on my breast, I found them when I was 17. I have a couple on each breast. They haven't changed in size or shape since then. I had them examined and was told at the time they were non-cancerous, fybroid tumors.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 23 hours later
Thanks for posting your query on healthcare magic
As you have mentioned what i have understood is that you had long standing breast lumps diagnosed previously as fibro-adenomas and recently a week ago you have developed a new tender slightly bigger than pea sized swelling in your right arm pit .
I would like to know a few things prior to getting down to the management for the same:
For the Carcinoma Cervix that you underwent a surgery for , have you undergone any form of radiotherapy or chemotherapy for the same?
How long back was the surgery done for the same?
Were you seen in followup by the surgeon or oncologist to rule out any further metastasis elsewhere ?
With whatever information you have provided i would suggest that the new swelling in your arm pit needs to be dealt seriously without any delay .
Get yourself examined by your surgeon or oncologist to confirm if it is a new enlarged lymph node and get its Fine needle aspiration cytology done to confirm that it is not a metastasis.I do not wish to cause any worry to you without having you examined but kindly get it examined and investigated even if you do not have the insurance coverage at the earliest.
Also let the oncologist know about the gastrointestinal symptoms of nause and vomiting that you are having as it is unlikely without the chemotherapy/medication to have this , so that they can investigate this as well.
I hope i have answered all your queries and doubts
Kindly feel free to post again in case you have any further doubts.
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh