Found high BP readings on home monitors. Any thoughts?

I went to the doctor's last week..because I just bought one of those home monitors and when I took my BP it was 158/94...But when /I got to the doctor it was 140/90....
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Most of times, due to wrong calibration or technical errors in the home monitors the reading can be wrong. Do get the monitor checked.

If you had been to the doctor soon after you checked in the monitor, the fear and physical strain you had could be the reason for the higher reading (140/90).

Need not worry; do get your Blood pressure checked when you are at rest without any stress or physical exertion. Baseline Blood pressure readings which recorded after a period of physical rest are the reliable ones to assess the cardiac health.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there any other concerns.

Follow-up: Found high BP readings on home monitors. Any thoughts? 13 hours later
Thank You Doctor....
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Wish you good health.