Found hard lump on vaginal wall. Could this be a serious problem?

Hello doctor I am 49 yrs old I have a lump on the inside of the right vagina lip it some times feels hard and sometimes soft, it doesn't hurt at all I am just worried it could be something serious. It's skin colour as well I have had it for a few months but no cahnge has occurred. There is no head but when I had my daughter 19 yrs ago I had a lot of stitches to the vagina.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The most likely diagnosis which comes to my mind after going through your history is that it is a Bartholin's cyst or a Bartholin's abcess. This is a swelling arising from a small gland in your labia majora due to infection or blockage of it's duct. However nothing can be said for sure until & unless you see a Gynecologist in person & get yourself evaluated. Diagnosis is usually clinical but your doctor may like to take some "swab tests" to rule out the possibility of an STD.
Treatment includes a small surgical procedure to open up & drain the contents of the swelling, which is usually done as a "Day case procedure".
However if you have other lumps along with this " bigger one" then other possibilities like STDs or God forbid cancer must be ruled out.
Again a doctors visit is crucial to find out the exact diagnosis.
I have given you a brief guideline please write back if you have any questions.
Wish you good health & a nice day.
Best regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.