Found hard lump on chest. Could it be a cancer?

Hi my husband just found a hard lump in the middle area of his chest off the right alittle towards the ribs. Do you think this is something serious and are all hard lumps cancer??

Thank you so much!

Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 18 minutes later
All hard lumps are not always cancer. Having said that,let me also state that cancerous lumps have certain physical characteristics that need to be identified by a local examination. A simple examination can tell much more about the lump.
Its difficult to say what kind of lump your husband has at present,without examining it. Most important thing now it to determine whether it arises from the skin or beneath.Chest xray/ct scan needs to be done after a examination.It could be anything from a cyst to a lipoma etc apart from malignancy,which cannot be ruled out yet.I strongly suggest that he seek medical attention first and get the tests done as soon as possible.A FNAC/biopsy may be needed.