Found hard lump on anus. History of hemorrhoids. Could it be wart?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there, I am a healthy 28 year old male and have recently found a hard lump on my anus while using the bathroom. I am heterosexual, and a virgin. Nothing has ever been back there other than my hand to wipe. I do have a history of hemorrhoids (including recently), as well as a history of colon polyps since I was young. I'm scared that this could be some kind of wart or something like that, though it does not appear or feel like one. It's small and hard, like a little rock under my skin. The skin from what I can feel feels smooth.

I have attached a photo as best I could take of it. I apologize for the graphic photo.

Hopefully you can ease my troubled mind.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I have seen the photographs attached. It looks like a classic hemorrhoid.

A hemorrhoid is basically a small swollen blood vessel in the area of the anus. On occasion, these can be triggered by - prolonged sitting, heavy lifting or possibly from anal sexual intercourse.

These are not XXXXXXX or life threatening.

Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, twice daily I'd like you to sit in a warm batch in the bathtub for 20 minutes. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

Next, you can go to any local pharmacy and pick up a tube of preparation H cooling gel. This is a clear gel which you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue.

Again, hemorrhoids are common and not worrisome. Occasionally they can become larger and bleed but in your case this is not a concern.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.