Found elevated crp. Suspected for fibromyalgia. EKG and stress test normal. Prognosis?

My rhuematologist ordered specific tests prior to my first appointment. One such test is hc crp. I received results back from my records departmetns and my level was 6.4. My PCM highly suspects I have fibromyalgia. Is there any significance to the hc crp being elevated? My heart is fine. I have had an EKG as well as a stress test and both are fine.
hs CRP
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The elevated CRP Is somewhat nonspecific. I mean by nonspecific that it does not necessarily help to diagnose one particular condition but it does elevate suspicion for possible inflammatory process.

Your rheumatologist likely has considered other testing to rule out other disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. It is certainly possible that you could have fibromyalgia. With fibromyalgia there are really no good blood tests to help diagnose or manage the condition. It is usually a clinical diagnosis of exclusion.

I don't think there was any major concern at this time with the elevated CRP. I think you should continue to follow up with a rheumatologist for consideration of possible causes of the symptoms you're experiencing.

The remainder of your blood work looks fine in my opinion. I don't see any problems with your blood count.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Found elevated crp. Suspected for fibromyalgia. EKG and stress test normal. Prognosis? 7 minutes later
ATTENTION DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX - I am also awaiting CK results. How do the results associate with fibromyalgia? I recall this test was elevated the last time it was taken. I do not understand what it means/associates with fibro.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello again.

There are really no good diagnostic tests to confirm fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is regarded as a type of inflammatory disorder which patients can experience. In fibromyalgia frequently muscle pain as well as fatigue are very common. I'm not sure the severity of the symptoms in your case. The CK level is reasonable to assess to see if there is any type of Inflammation in the muscles which can cause elevation of this enzyme.

Fibromyalgia is a very frustrating type of disorder as I am sure you are aware. There are no chores but there are some medications which can be used to help mitigate symptoms. I'm sure the rheumatologist has reviewed these with you.

Again the test results to not necessarily confirm final myalgia. The rheumatologist maybe trying to assess whether you have some inflammation in your muscles. Additional testing would be at his discretion.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Robert