Found cyst on vaginal wall. Could it be sebaceous cyst?

I'm 40yr old. Same sexual partner for 10 yrs. I had pap in 2001 normal but found a cyst size of pea on vaginal wall. Was told not to be concerned. Now have hard pea size "cyst" on labia majora. Not painful, seems to be semi mobile. Not near lymph nodes or close vaginal opening. I have noticed this fir several months and does not seem to be getting larger. Have not had pap since 2007. Have had recent mammogram with fibrocystic. 25 pak/yr smoker. Sebaceous cyst?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
The causes for a small cyst underneath the skin of the labia Majora could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and may cause discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicle - can form small absess, which can cause a small swelling, but it is associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Found cyst on vaginal wall. Could it be sebaceous cyst? 30 minutes later
I'm not too keen on going to doctor; especially with gynecological issues. Hence the reason I willingly spent $35 to ask you online. I'm fully aware of your responsibility to refer me to consult a doctor for examination. I have considered aspiration or lancing it myself since I'm leaning towards infected hair follicle or sebaceous gland. My next question would be would mupirocin ointment or TATB ointment be appropriate? Since I haven't access to keflex without seeing my doctor. What should I look for if it is not?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the cyst is not painful, then it is best to leave it as it is. Aspiration might cause an infection in the area causing the pain.
Also, in case of Bartholin's cyst, the cyst will refill itself in next few days and may become larger in size.
You can use mupirocin ointment locally to control any infection to some extent.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.