Found cyst on kidney in an ultrasound. Do I have polycystic kidney?

Good

Question
I have a 4cm right renal cyst with further smaller cysts on that side. The Radiologists report said that "Ultrasound is suggested for confirmation XXXXXXX The left kidney is normal. I am waiting to be seen by a renal specialist. How lightly is it that I have a polycystic kidney or could it be anything else. thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 12 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
Hi and thanks for your query,
If many cysts are reported on the kidney and are of different sizes, the likelihood of this being ultrasound is very sensitive in diagnosing these cysts and characterizing them. I am afraid if the ultrasound confirms the cysts again and they are really of different sizes, you actually have polycystic kidney disease.
Many people have small cysts in their kidney s and are asymptomatic. The gravity of the disease actually depends on the sizes and also on whether they are on both sides or one side. At times, an abdominal CT scan could be of greater help too.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Found cyst on kidney in an ultrasound. Do I have polycystic kidney? 10 minutes later
The cysts were discovered in an abdominal scan.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
In that case, do an abdominal ultrasound. Its effective in describing and characterizing cysts for sure the abdominal scans.
If the abdominal ultrasound reveals cysts to be numerous and of different sizes, I shall be diagnostic of like diabetes and hypertension, if any, and a regular follow up of the kidney function. Your kidney specialist (nephrologist) shall then actually be better placed.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Found cyst on kidney in an ultrasound. Do I have polycystic kidney? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I have no diabetes or hypertension at present ....even if I have polysystic kidney disease is there a possibility that I would experience no symptoms or pain if I have regular check ups? thanks

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your questions,
As I said, not all patients develop complication with polycystic kidney disease. Its very possible you remain without symptoms after check up. But since the condition increases risk of hypertension and chronic kidney disease, reason why regular check up for kidney function shall be necessary, to detect any abnormalities and intervene in good time in case there are subsequent problems.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.