Found complex cyst with single septum and calcification in lower uterine segment. What to do next?

I have several calcifications in left ovary, the largest measuring 3x4 mm and complex cyst with single septum in right ovary along with calcification in lower uterine segment. I was asked to repeat ultrasound in 2 months. If calcifications are still present then what will course of action be?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Can you please tell me what the reason was for the original ultrasound - were you having pain? Also, what cancers specifically run in your family?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Found complex cyst with single septum and calcification in lower uterine segment. What to do next? 1 hour later
Yes I was having pain and bloating. I also had previous ultrasound from one year ago that showed calcifications in the lower uterine segment and a prominent follicular cyst.

My maternl grandmother had Leukemia
My father had a carcinoma that began in lungs and spread to brain(sorry I cannot remember the specific term for this)
My maternal Aunt had breast cancer
My paternal Uncle had lung cancer
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the followup. Here is my answer:

1. You have had 2 prior Cesarean sections. The incision for these procedures is in the lower uterine segment of the uterus. This would likely explain the calcification in the uterus and is also likely unrelated to the reasons for which you got the scan in the first place (i.e. this is an incidental finding)
2. The most recent scan is different from the scan one year ago (except for the same calcifications in the uterus that I expained). So it is not a fair comparison except to say that the current findings are new and likely unrelated to the reasons that you had the prior scan.
3. Just seeing calcification in an ovary (on the left) is not a great concern. This is not uncommon and if this were the only finding, then a followup might not even have been arranged.
4. The main finding is with regard to the right ovary which contains a "complex" cyst based on the finding of a septation within it. This is most likely a completely benign finding.
5. You prior history of pap smear issues and your family history are unrelated to the current problem

I agree with the plan to repeat your scan in 6-8 weeks. In a patient like yourself, with mild symptoms and relatively unconcerning findings, then this waiting period is appropriate. There are certainly patients in whom pain is the driving force to do something.

Options for what to do if the ovarian cyst persists might include:
1. Continued followup with ultrasound over time
2. Laparoscopy to actually look at the cyst and/or remove it surgically

During this period of waiting, it is also worth having your doctor consider other causes of pelvic discomfort and bloating. The other systems commonly involved include your bowels or bladder.

I hope that this helps - please ask for clarification if necessary!