Found cancer cyst on the head of pancreas. Should I go for surgery?

My friend, XXXXXXX, is a 72 year old woman. She had dark urine, itching and stomack problems. Now the hospital found (by ultra sound and CATscan) that she has a cancer cyst on the head end of the pancreas, 22mmx28mmx31mm large. Can this cyst cause the gall problems that was her symptoms? Is an operation of the pancreas fatal?
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later

Cancer of the head of the pancreas can block the bile duct (the tube takes the bile out of the gall bladder) and can cause symptoms which you have described . Itching is a classical symptom of this.

The Question about whether cancer of the head of the pancreas can be cured depends on the stage of the disease. In certain early stages a surgery of the head of pancreas can be curative. However in most cases if the disease is locally advanced or malignant than it is difficult to achieve curative resection. In such cases palliative measures including chemotherapy and biliary drainage using a metallic stent placed through ERCP can be helpful.

Cancer of the head of pancreas can be a difficult difficulty disease and I pray God gives your friend and you the strength to fight it.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD