Found bump on labia minora. Not cured by neosporin. Should I be worried about STD?

I found a small red bump on my left labia minora this morning. It burns when it has contact with urine. I tried putting Neosporin on it and it seemed to help with the burning. However, I'm not sure what it could be and I'm trying to figure out how to help it. I'm also wanting to try to find out whether or not it could be an STD type thing...
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
I have gone through your reports.
The most likely diagnosis is genital herpes. Genital herpes lesions are painful, whereas lesions due to Treponema pallidum are usually painless. Genital infections due to Haemophilus ducreyi or lymphogranuloma venereum can result in painful or painless ulcers, respectively, but they often result in suppurative lymphadenopathy.Other causes can be trauma & drug reactions. The etiologic agent of genital herpes in 70 to 90% of cases is HSV-2), and in 10 to 30% of cases it is HSV-1. This virus is an enveloped, double-stranded DNA virus. Because it is an enveloped virus, it is spread only by direct contact with contaminated secretions.

The diagnosis of HSV infection can be confirmed by isolating the virus in tissue culture cells or by examining scrapings from suspect lesions for HSV antigens by using rapid immunofluorescence techniques.
So consult your gynaecologist & get investigated to pin point the diagnosis so that you can start treatment according to that.
I will be available for your further queries.