Ask a Urologist   »  

Found blood in urine and moderate calcium oxalate. What does this mean?

I had a recent UA that showed a small amount of blood in the urine, urine red blood cells 6-10 and moderate calcium oxalate. Lipid panel, cbc, cbc/platlet & differential and CMP results all normal. Waiting to get ahold of my doctor but wondering what this might mean.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
welcome to the forum.
The UA and crystals mean possible presence of stone in the urinary tract.
The next steps would be - to find the location and the size of the stone.
The same can be done by taking a radiograph of the area-PLAIN XRAY KUB- and ultrasound scan.
Treatment is based on the findings of the tests.
Best regards
Follow-up: Found blood in urine and moderate calcium oxalate. What does this mean? 12 days later
Thank you for your reply. I went for a consult to a urologist (actually got a physician assisant or PA as the doctor was called away on an emergency surgery). I was told the protocol in the USA for asymptomatic microscopic hematuria is to have a ct scan with and without contrast and a cystoscopy, along with some culture and other tests from urine sample (I gave the sample at the end of the consult and waiting to hear results, the other tests are scheduled). This seems like a very comprehensive and aggressive diagnostic regime to me and am wondering if it is really necessary. When I asked about ultrasound I was told that it was not as sensitive as ct scan and could miss small stones or other items and they wouldn't do it. I am thinking of consulting with a different urologist to get a second opinion. By way of background there is a history in my family (mother and brother) of this and neither was diagnosed with anything. Doctors told both family members after scans and other extensive tests including on kidney function that this was just normal for them to have small blood in the urine, nothing was found. I do want to have it evaluated properly and not assume anything but I don't want to go overboard on diagnostics which are expensive. They also insisted the scan with the iv and the cystopscopy have to be the same day back to back and I really thought it better to do them on different days. I am willing to do both tests if really necessary.

I am concerned that with an inguinal hernia I would like to see the scan results before doing a proceedure like a cystoscopy. Is there any risk of the proceedure making the hernia worse?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 23 minutes later
Protocol varies among countries.
In india, generally ultrasound is the preferred first test as it is cheap, easily available and affordable.
CT is done at the next level if needed.
As you wrote, since CT is done directly in the USA , there is no other option but to do it - to confirm the diagnosis.
Cystoscopy is done not to miss a small tumour in the bladder.
None of these tests aggravates the hernia.
best regards