Ask a Urologist   »  

Found blood in urine and enlarged prostate. Ultrasound and blood work to be done. Are they related?

Doctor found blood in my urine and also said my prostate was enlarged. I am 37 years old. I was sick with a cold for a week taking tons medication. Further test being done. Is the blood in my urine possibly related to my slightly enlarged prostate? No other pains or anything out of the ordinary after the doctor conducted test during the visit. Doctor said it was my choice to get a ultra sound on my prostate or monitor. He did not seem overly concerned. I have a follow up on my blood work next week. Of course my research online says my left leg is going to fall off and will die. =) Thanks
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
Blood in urine is commonly due to infection or stone. These need to ruled out in the scan.
More than that, if u have urinary symptoms, it is worthwhile doing urine culture test to look for infection.
Problem due to enlarged prostate usually occurs after age of 40 and I am not too worried about it now.
I can’t comment on the online research u have done. I am sorry.

Hope I answered your queries. Kindly get back for doubts if any.