Found blood in stool. No weight loss or anemia. What is the problem?

General Surgeon
i found blood in my stool especially after eating fried chicken. Can you please tell mw why it is happening? my health is normal . no weight loss or anemia . no abdominal pain
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason of the fresh blood in stool are hemorrhoids. Such blood is bright red and usually on the surface of the stool. Sometimes pain or itching in the rectum appears. It rather has nothing in common with fried chicken however it is associated with constipations or hard stool which irritates it when passing.
So if your blood is bright red and on the surface of the stool you have nothing to worry about. But if this situation keeps repeating you should visit a doctor for rectal exam. In some cases colonoscopy is required (if constipations are present, mucus in stool, if the blood is mixed with stool).
To make your bleeding disappear you should:
- avoid constipations
- drink more water to make your stools soften
- do not push hard on stool
- increase fiber XXXXXXX products and physical activity
- have hot baths with Quercus Cortex
- keep rectal area clean and dry
- use prescription free suppositories for hemorrhoids

With such treatment, it should go away in a week or so. Hemorrhoids likes to recur and surgery might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Found blood in stool. No weight loss or anemia. What is the problem? 17 minutes later
I have seen the blood for the first time three days ago at that time it was bright red and it was on the surface of the stool but today I have seen dark clotted blood apart from the stool yesterday also I ate fried chicken. Is it a serious situation?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later

It is not very serious. This clot comes probably from the hemorrhoids as well and as the bleeding was not getting out for some time, it has accumulated inside the rectum and caused such clot.
But if this bleeding has not stopped yet, you should visit a doctor and have colonoscopy performed to make sure it is not something else than hemorrhoids.

Hope this will help.