Found a pebble sized lump in breast. What are the complications?

I have found a pebble sized lump in my breast. It wasn't there a week ago.... I have a doctors appointment booked for 8.30 am on Monday but am really scared.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I need to know more about the lump in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Is the lump hard or soft?
2. Does it pain when you touch it?
3. Is it mobile or fixed to the underlying tissue?
4. Is the lump over the lump normal?
5. Any history of breast cancer or any other cancer in the family?

I would like to add at this point that most often than not lump in the breast is benign and not all the time a malignancy however every lump should be examined and evaluated for in detail so as to not to miss a malignancy. You have done a great job at recognizing the lump and taking a doctor's appointment.

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you all the best

Follow-up: Found a pebble sized lump in breast. What are the complications? 10 minutes later
The lumps feels hard but also soft when you squeeze it from various angles...

It does hurt yes but I have been prodding it a lit do that might be why my whole breast aches!

I think it moves but haven't really tried to move it much as I said my breast schedule now from three days of prodding it!

There is no visable sign of the lump on the breast so he skin is as normal. The lump is within the 'middle ' of my breast.

There was testing several years ago for a gene is my family re breast cancer but my mum was not positive so they didn't test me. It had been her two cousins so they assumed the gene had not been passed on.

The reason I haven't been to the doctors yet, despite finding this five days ago is I was away on holiday and so have driven 900 miles in three days to get back!

Hence I am rather worried etc!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The fact that the lump is soft, skin over the lump is normal and also mobile it points towards a non malignant swelling probably a lipoma (fat) or a fibroma ( swelling of fibrous tissue). Avoid repeatedly touching it or squeezing it as it might get inflammed.

You have done the right thing by coming back for the evaluation.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I wil be happy to reply

I wish you good health