Found a hard painful lump in groin area. What could it be?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi i have found a hard painful lump in my groin where my leg meets my pubic area what could it be?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 8 minutes later

Your description is inadequate.

Based on the given information, the common reason of hard lump in the groin is hernia or lymph node.

If it can be reduced or impulse when you cough - it could be hernia.
If it is hard irreducible tender associated with fever it is likely to be lymph node.

Hope this helps. I will be available for more comments if you can provide more information about the lump.

Follow-up: Found a hard painful lump in groin area. What could it be? 25 minutes later
found it by chance in the shower, it is slightly larer than a pea but not quite as large as a marble, is painful to touch, feels like it moves a bit, smooth, round, can not be reduced, no fever as such but i have had the cold and still feel bunged up!
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
Your description matches that of a lymph node. In the absence of fever or tenderness (pain on touching), it should disappear on its own. But if hurts to touch and you do have fever, you would need a general physician to examine it and probably need a course of antibiotics.
Hope that helps