Foul vaginal smell post sexual intercourse, needs to take antifungal drugs, antibacterial agent, wants to do vaginal swab culture. Treatment ?

Question
Iam.55 year old.My hystactomy was done 6years back. during relation my vagina give foul smell.this disturb mysex life.pl.advise
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
Hello
Foul smelling vaginal discharge indicates that you are having a vaginal infection- most likely fungal with a superadded bacterial infection.
You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.
You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination and vaginal swab culture.
Mind it that such vaginal infections are notorious for recurrence and your partner also needs to be treated simultaneously to avoid repeat infections.
Regarding the treatment you can do the following things-
1.Avoid irritation of the genital organs caused by various factors such as dirt, soiled under garments, intestinal worms and excessive mental stimulation of sex or masturbation.
2. One of the things you can add to your daily diet to treat this is a banana that is dipped in clarified butter or ghee. This should be eaten with breakfast and lunch.
3. Increase your intake of cranberry juice. This juice has quite a number of properties that are good for women and drinking this juice helps with the treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Foul vaginal smell post sexual intercourse, needs to take antifungal drugs, antibacterial agent, wants to do vaginal swab culture. Treatment ? 13 hours later
I am not satisfied with the answer I want to explain further that the foul smell does not come during otherwise but only comes during sex and that too not always but only sometimes.My partner has no itching or similar problems.
I would appreciate if you prescribe drug name to be taken
Thanking you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

Foul smelling vaginal discharge even if it is only during sex indicates infection.

The best way to prescribe a drug will be after a vaginal swab culture report so that we know the causative organism.

The prescription medicines are given after the cause is exactly made out.

Since I haven’t physically examined you, it is inappropriate and unethical to
prescribe you scheduled drugs.

Hence you will have to see the gynecologist for the medicine that you require.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.