Foul taste in mouth ranging from salty to rotten

ENT Specialist
Have a foul taste in mouth after yawning ranging from salty tasting to almost rotten at times. 34 yr old male 190 lbs 5' 9" Not every time I yawn.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 57 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Yawning is a mechanism to replenish the depleted oxygen level in the brain.

The act of yawning happens when the soft palate shuts the junction of the nose and the throat while the diaphragm pulls down in order to inflate the lungs. The elevation of the soft palate to shut the junction of the nose and the throat causes squeezing of the back of the nose and the tonsils. This mechanism allows accumulation of the nasal and sinus secretions at the back of the nose. Later, these secretions will trickle down into the back of the throat once the act of yawning is over.

As one knows the nasal secretions are salty most of the times, this is the same feeling you perceive after yawning. Apart from this, squeezing of the tonsils removes the accumulated food material from the crypts of the tonsils leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

These are the normal things to happen following yawning and are not the symptoms of any underlying disease.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Foul taste in mouth ranging from salty to rotten 40 minutes later
Thank You,

It is a relief to know I have no underlying issues. I am still concerned though as this has only been happening on and off for the last couple of months. Before this I never noticed it. I did read somewhere where this could be part of a sinus infection symptom (which I have had several sinus infections recently) so I used a Neti Pot to see if it helped and it did. This was about a month ago and it got rid of my symptoms for a few days then it slowly came back. I wasn't like this 6 months ago and I would prefer to get rid of it if possible. Perhaps I will try the Neti Pot again.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back

That says it all; the recent onset of sinus infection could be one of the causes for the symptoms you perceive. I would suggest you to continue with netipot, steam inhalation and saline nasal spray, this helps in relieving the symptoms. Also, avoid chilled beverages and coffee for few days.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon