Ask a Urologist   »  

Foul smelling urine, pain inside the hip. What could it be?

My urine has been smelling quite badly for awlie now and during the past week or so I have been having a constant pain internally right under my right hip. What could it be and what should I do?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from a urethra. Since you are complaining of the right hip pain as well an ultra sound abdomen and pelvis will be required to know if the kidneys are involved as well. I would like you to XXXXXXX a physician as soon as possible without delay for a physical examination and further work up which should include complete blood count, urine routine and culture followed by the abdominal scan. You will be given antibiotics like cefixime or levofloxacin to be taken for 12 to 14 days. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription

In the mean time while please do the following

1. Watch for fall in urine output
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Drink cranberry juice once daily, this will bring down the smell and help you recover faster
4. If you are sexually active, I advise you protected sex until you recover. Please pass urine after intercourse. This reduces the chances of UTI even in the future

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries then please accept my answer

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery