Forgot to wear earplugs for a concert. Suffering from ringing in ears and pain. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi. I was at a concert last night, and though I just about always wear earplugs, this time I forgot them. I was in the very front, & the sound guy seemed to not have very good control of the levels. There was a LOT of feedback & the overall level & attack of the high frequencies felt pretty punishing. The show lasted a little bit less than an hour, and when I walked back to the car, I noticed ringing in both ears, with some pressure particularly in the left ear, & now & then the slightest bit of pain. I do notice some hearing loss in the left ear, with a strange distortion of my own speaking voice & other mid-hi frequencies. I thought maybe I would sleep it off, but alas, no. What is the recommended treatment for this? How permanent/temporary is it? What condition do you believe this is?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Exposure to very loud sounds may cause a threshold shift in hearing levels accompanied by tinnitus (buzzing in the ears).

2. A temporary threshold shift (TTS) will usually recover in 48-72 hours.

3. It is better to get a PTA ( Pure Tone Audiometry) done to rule out a large drop in hearing.

4. If your hearing does to improve in a day or two, seek immediate medical attention. Without treatment this hearing loss may become permanent SSNHL (Sudden Sensori-Neural Hearing Loss).

5. Further treatment options will depend upon your audio gram.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Forgot to wear earplugs for a concert. Suffering from ringing in ears and pain. Treatment? 22 minutes later
Thank you doctor! I've done a bit of research, and I read that taking megadoses of magnesium as soon as possible after the trauma can help alleviate potential hearing loss. Do you recommend this?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back

1. It is advisable to get your hearing levels checked by Audiometry before any attempt to treat this.

2. Though Magnesium supplements will cause no harm, there is no single mineral that can reverse Acoustic Trauma or damage to the inner ear.

3. The treatment that I recommend to patients has many medications, the foremost being steroids and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT). If your Audiogram shows a threshold shift in hearing levels, I can provide you with the entire treatment plan. All this is not necessary if it is a Temporary Threshold Shift.

4. You may start a vitamin, anti-oxidant and mineral supplement. Hopefully this is only a TTS.

Regards.