Foreskin irritated, itching, red skin, swollen, no pain while urinating. Is there anything to do?

I have the foreskin of my penis very much irritated.

I am not circumzided but I never had problems before. however, in the past months, the skin has become more tight and it became more difficult to roll it back. occasionally i have some itching and the skin become red, but it goes after a couple of days.

This time, however I was worried because the skin was not pulling back and I forced it and stayed all day long with the skin pulled back. at night it was very swollen and I managed to pull it forward. but it is very itching, swollen with some white dots and I cannot pull the skin back because it hurts.

I dont feel pain when I urinate, however, it burns the skin. I am using hydrogen peroxide to clean up the area every time I urinate. I read that LOTRIMIN AF could help. but not sure what to do.

I am on antibiotics for a sore throat, is there anything to do?

I also have red spots in my groin that started a couple of months ago. not sure if it is related.

I am trying to schedule a consult but it will take a couple of weeks. so I was wondering what would you recommend.

Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

You have tight foreskin and that is leading to recurrent balanitis (the reddish patches and itchiness). The treatment for balanitis is antibiotic cream local application.

However, the very idea to pull the foreskin and leave it here is pretty bad. It can lead to paraphimosis and even gangrene of the same. Don't practice it again.

You need to slowly pull the skin back and then apply local steroid cream twice daily for at least 2 weeks. The steroids are known to thin out the skin and thus make it lax. However, if the trial with steroid cream fails then you may to undergo circumcision.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Foreskin irritated, itching, red skin, swollen, no pain while urinating. Is there anything to do? 1 hour later
how can I buy antibiotic cream for local application ?do i need a prescription?
can i use LOTRIMIN in the meantime or it doesnt work?
I read CORTAID is a kind of steroid cream over the counter in US. does that work?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
An antibiotic cream would not need a prescription in all cases. The main purpose of the antibiotic cream is to provide lubrication and ensure that there is no residual infection. So, you can also use Lotrimin for the first 5 days and then shift to Cortaid twice daily.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my query if you have no further queries.