Foreskin around the top of penis is fleshy, red and smells a bit. How could I treat it?

Question
hi doctor i was just wondering could you help me. the foreskin around the top of my penis is a bit fleshy and red and smells a bit too.this has happened me twice before and it usually clears up after a few days. what could this be and how could i treat it?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Balanoposthitis

Detailed Answer:

The description sounds to be balanitis or balanoposthitis which is inflammation of glans penis and sometimes the skin covering it. Most often doctors do not treat this as it resolves on its own by abstinence and local hygiene.

The skin over the glans has many crypts which tend to infect and swell causing redness and pain sometimes. It is proper to maintain hygiene and local bacterial applications like bacitracin. If it does not heal or recurs frequently then we recommend excision of the skin.

Hope this gives you a direction to act.

Follow-up: Foreskin around the top of penis is fleshy, red and smells a bit. How could I treat it? 8 minutes later
thanks doctor for your help. i taught it might have been an std. do you think it should clear up once i clean it regurly? can these affect a female during intercourse?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abstain from intercourse

Detailed Answer:

STD's increase the chances of balanoposthitis and vice versa. So actually an intercourse raises the risk of STD's in this condition. at present state it may not mean anything for a female but if you catch STD then both of you need extended treatment. Abstain from intercourse for a week after the swelling resolves completely

Local hygiene and antibiotic application should clear it in a week's time. Probably a good time to wait before you start worrying about other reasons.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Foreskin around the top of penis is fleshy, red and smells a bit. How could I treat it? 1 hour later
thanks for your help Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please close the discussion

Detailed Answer:
Thank you