Forehead is swollen after a fall and advised to use ice. Having headache sometimes. Any upcoming risk??

Nov 2013

dear sir, my wife fallen in bathroom in 4th oct 2013. At in instant her forehead start swelling in a quick rate(around 3cm protruded). but she not fainted or not vomit in 24 hours. Doctor advice us to use no medicine n only use ice. But its 27th still she have swelling in her head and when I touched it bit harder then earlier and sometime she feel headache.give me suggestion how the swelling has gone and is there any risk involved and what to do????
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

The description is suggestive of a scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin over forehead). This is not a serious condition and it may take 4-6 weeks for complete recovery.

In addition to application of ice, anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets may also be taken for faster improvement.

There is no risk involved and you should not worry.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: