Forehead hit, bump, abrasion, nausea, vomit. Taken ibuprofen. ER required?

Neurologist, Surgical
My husband tripped yesterday (7:00 pm) and hit his forehead on the edge of the counter. There was an immediate bump and an abrasion. We put ice on it and 600mg Ibuprofen didn't touch the pain. He wanted to take a nap, I let him, but woke him every 20 minutes. Napped from 8:00pm- 9:00pm. Other than nagging pain, he had no other symptoms the first day. Slept normal through the night. Awoke today with continued nagging pain. Ibuprofen helped a little. Complained about not being able to remember this morning. No difference in pupil size. After dinner tonight, complained of nausea, did vomit. bump on the head has gone down, and no discoloration was ever seen in the surrounding skin. Should we have this looked at at the ER?
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 6 hours later

Any head injury with a bump / abrasion associated with increasing headache, memory lapses, nausea / vomiting, etc., needs a neurosurgical consultation at the earliest. A computed tomography (CT) of brain is needed to rule out intracranial injuries such as concussion, bleeding, etc.

I suggest that your husband visits emergency room for neurological evaluation and scans.

Any patient with head injury has to be closely observed for unconsciousness, giddiness, etc. They need to avoid driving and other physical activities for a few weeks till complete recovery.

Continue with analgesics, antiemetics and bed rest as of now and plan to visit the ER.

Hope this answers your query.
I wish your husband recovers speedily. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Take care and Regards
Dr. Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon