Forehead becomes tender to touch after getting migraine. What treatment should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
After (sometimes before) I get a migraine, my forehead is very tender to touch
There exact area changes and they are so sore one would assume its a bruise but its not. Email address: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

Your symptoms are suggestive of migraine.

Migraine is a vascular disease, with changes in the blood flow to certain parts of brain and surrounding tissues. This is because there is either vasodilatation (dilatation of blood vessels) or vasoconstriction (constriction of blood vessels) during the episodes of migraine.

This can lead to tenderness to touch, even pain while combing hair, and redness of skin.

If you are having frequent headaches, you require preventive medications such as topiramate, divalproex, etc.

For the relief of acute episodes of headache, you may take analgesics such as ibuprofen or rizatriptan tablet or zolmitriptan nasal spray.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Forehead becomes tender to touch after getting migraine. What treatment should be done? 13 hours later
I know it's a migraine - I've had them for years and ha e Botox injections as well as occipital blocks every 3 month. I take depacote & Wellbutrin as prophylactic
Meds and Migranol when I get a headache. I get them about once a week. But as I was saying the tenderness is new and my doc referred to it with a name and said it meant my headaches were getting more severe & more difficult to treat. I wanted a second opinion & advise

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more information.

I agree with your doctor's diagnosis that your new symptoms are part of the migraine, which has become more severe.

Regarding treatment, you are currently on the best and most appropriate treatment.

I would be glad to answer, if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)