Forefinger becomes stiff and painful after waking in morning. What is causing this?

Spine Surgeon
I would like to ask your suggestion/opinion on a problem my father is facing. When he wakes up in the morning his right forefinger will become stiff and can’t fold the finger for an hour or so. It would be very painful if he tries to fold it by force. It has started a month ago. My father is now 52 Yr old and works in Electricity department.
He often drink alcohol, 3 times in a week around 2-3 pegs. He quit smoking recently after 30 yrs.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 14 minutes later
thank you for the query
From the history, there are few possibilities
1.Trigger finger in which the tendon sheath becomes swollen and there is triggering of finger
2.Arthritis of the finger - could be rheumatoid arthritis
3.Gout- due to increased uric acid
so please get your father seen by an orthopaedic surgeon to finalize the diagnosis and to start the treatment
thank you
Follow-up: Forefinger becomes stiff and painful after waking in morning. What is causing this? 6 minutes later
Wow.. Thanks for the prompt response..My sincere thanks to Dr XXXXXXX Could you please suggest an orthopaedic surgeon in Hyd and Nizamabad.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 21 hours later
please go to Yasoda hospital, and XXXXXXX dr XXXXXXX