Forearm spasms, back pain, abdominal cramps, early periods, done bloodwork, history of bilateral pneumonia

Orthopaedic Surgeon
39 yoa, female, 189 # (20# gain in 2 mos), medical history of being very healthy. Bilateral pnuemonia 2 years ago; 3 children (youngest is 14mos); tubal ligation; no medication.
Problem: I have had forearm/finger spasms/cramps for 6mos+; last week began back pain with pain under L rib; L rib pain discontinued; back pain and abdominal cramping continues, period two weeks early, no energy. Bloodwork indicates low mpv and high glucose.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

1. Have you experienced any fever or 'flu' recently?

2. Do you have any trouble in passing urine or stool?

3. Is there any trouble in sleeping?

4. Do you have any back pain or neck pain or pain in the joints?

I have read your problem. It appears you may have the forearm cramps possibly from nerve irritation either at the neck or forearm areas. As you have mentioned that you have rapidly gained weight recently, it may be possible that your thyroid hormones are not in control, please get them checked.

You have mentioned high glucose in blood. This along with irregular cycles can point to Polycystic ovarian disease as a differential diagnosis as well. Do get a thorough check-up done to rule out this problem as well.

The periods coming 2 weeks early indicates possible hormonal disturbance which may be attributed to low thyroid hormones as well.

Your MPV (Mean Platelet Volume) being low may indicate disorder in platelet formation which is needed for normal formation of clot. Do you experience bleeding gums, blood in urine, stool?

You need to have a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables for essential vitamins for blood and body function. Drink enough water. Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol. Stay away from fatty, sweet, high carbohydrate diet. Eat cereals, pulses, lean meat, chicken for good protein source. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes which is most important in reducing hormonal fluctuations and promoting normal body function.

You may need to consult a Neurologist as well to evaluate the muscle spasms in your forearm. You may need to get Nerve Conduction Study to rule out nerve irritation as a cause of the spasms. Get a blood ESR level as well. If permitted, also get a Autoimmune disorders screen to rule out possible autoimmune causes.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.