Forearm pain. Bayer aspirin

I am a 47 year old male, 5'10" tall, 180 pounds. The insdie of my right forearm has been kind of painfull to the touch today. When I went to sleep for about an hour I felt surges of moderate pain in my forearm occuring approximately every 10 seconds to 2 minutes. The pain is not too terible, but keeps me from sleeping. I took a shower and massaged the arm, but the pain still keeps comming at random intervals. I also took a Bayer asprin about 30 minutes ago with no improvement.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. There are a few possibilities which I can think of for such kind of forearm pain.

1)     The first possibility is of forearm tendonitis which can be caused by overuse from repetition or strain (lifting too heavy weights), overusing the muscles in gym or injury or strain. People above the age of 40 are at risk of forearm tendonitis. This causes pain in the forearm and stiffness and inability to move the forearm.
2)     Second possibility is of tennis elbow which causes pain in elbow and upper forearm.
3)     Third possibility is of due to compression of nerves) although this possibility is less likely because it is usually associated with pain and numbness in the area.

Investigations like MRI and medical ultrasonography can help in confirming the diagnosis. Please get it done from an orthopedician. I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the forearm and take some prescription from your doctor. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like lifting heavy weights or stretching the arms which causes any further damage. Also avoid sleeping with the arm extended up behind the head and the head resting on the forearm.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.