For the last month, I have had a sound in

ENT Specialist
Question
For the last month, I have had a sound in my ears. It is not a ringing or buzzing, but very much like the sound you become aware of when there is absolute quiet and you strain to here something. Occasionally, when I am very focused on something else, it stops or diminishes. I know this is crazy, but is it possible my concern over the sound is the causing the problem.
Posted Sun, 3 Dec 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is probably Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.
I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

The symptom which you are describing is probably called Tinnitus.

The most possible causes in your case might be as follows:
Degeneration of inner ear neural pathway due to old age ,
Degeneration of inner ear neural pathway due to Diabetes.

Other causes might be:
Reduced Hemoglobin levels(anemia) may also lead to this situation,
Exposure to loud sounds,
Viral infection.

You might be even having hearing los(may be mild) in your ears.

It would be advisable to have a Hearing test called Pure Tone Audiogram:to check your hearing.

If you also suffer from Giddiness,along with Tinnitus and reduced hearing ,then MRI of ear and brain might be needed to rule out inner ear cause(like Tumor)(Looking to your symptoms,it is not required in your case).

It would be advisable to avoid listening to loud sounds,
Also if there is hearing loss detected in the hearing test,then Hearing aids are available which can help against reduced hearing and Tinnitus.

Brahmri Pranayam also helps in this case.

Control of Sugar is necessary(Your HbA1C is 6.2:Diabetes is under good control).

Avoidance of Smoking (if there is a Habit).

If the noise is disturbing your sleep then listening to white noise Music(available on Internet) will help to mask the noise.

Also ,in most of the cases,listening of such noise is not a life threatening situation.So, don't give much imporatance to that noise.If you give much importance,then it will disturb you more.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer you in case of any further queries.Take care.

Follow-up: For the last month, I have had a sound in 7 days later
Hi Dr. Shah, Thank you for your response. You believe that my description of my problem is tinnitus. The sound that I here is not a ringing, buzzing (which I have heard occasionally) or any other sound that I have ever experienced with one exception. In the past, if there was an absence of sound and I concentrated to here something, anything my perceptions created a sound similar to what I now here. I wonder if there is a psychological issue with me. This is what I alluded to in my first message. Is it possible that my concern with this sound and my focus on it is actually causing the sound? What I really need to do is completely ignore it (easier said than done) and will go away by itself.

Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Please see, the answer

Detailed Answer:
Respected XXXXXXX Sir,
Thank you for your follow up query.

From the information given by you,you have a question whether you have any psychological issue regarding hearing sounds in the ear.That condition is probably hallucination.
I will let you know the difference between Hallucination(Auditory type) and Tinnitus.

Auditory hallucination are phantom experiences of hearing meaningful sounds, such as people speaking or music. Auditory hallucinations may be a component of schizophrenic disorders or other causes, e.g., brain(temporal lobe )tumors or medications.

Tinnitus on the other hand, is just a perception of sound within the human ear when no external sound is present. It doesn't have to be a "ringing" sound.The sound might be Ringing ,Buzzing, Roaring ,Clicking ,Hissing.In most of the cases,Tinnitus is associated with hearing loss.

Hope this information helps you.Regards.Take care.