For severe arm pain with titanium plate,is doctor consultation required?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was not rear-ended however a car slammed into my front end while I was stationery, both air bags deployed I was seen for ringing in ear and right eye corneal abrasion from air bag dust... Brain CT was normal, today I am having right shoulder and neck pain (burning sensation) I had a cervical discectomy in 2002 for c-4/5 herniation, I have a titanium plate...the right arm burning is similar to pain I had in 2002 is is possible with plate there to re-injure? Should I be seen?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to compression of nerve. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Burning pain in your right arm could be due to compression of nerve at cervical spine. It not seems to be due to the plate re injure the nerve. It might be due to degenerative changes of spine in the form of osteophytes,disc prolapse causing nerve compression and radicular pain. I suggest you to have MRI scan of cervical spine to know the exact pathology. The management protocol depends on the severity of nerve compression. Temporary pain relief can be obtained by using an appropriate analgesic or muscle relaxant ,Pregabalin & methylcobalamine supplements. Consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care