For how long can Happi be taken? Side effects of prolonged use? Substitue for Happi?

how long happi-20 mg tablets can be taken. If taken for long period say for 10 yrs what will be the side effects. If this is discontinue, then which tablet may substitute this.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Long term use of Rabeprazole - Happy 20 tablets for GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) is not associated with any long term side effect. This has been seen on evidence based randomized controlled trials.

No evidence clearly links Proton pump inhibitors to gastric cancer or carcinoid, enteric infections, or significant nutrient malabsorption on long term use.

You can substitute it with dietary modifications and antacids or sucralfate which is equally safe on long term use.

Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate, spicy or greasy foods. Consume cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yogurt. Avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: For how long can Happi be taken? Side effects of prolonged use? Substitue for Happi? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Please tell me the replacement of rabiprazole tab. Please write the name of possible tablets / capsules and their frequency. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You need to get the required drugs prescribed from your physician after proper examination.

Since I haven’t physically examined you, it is inappropriate and unethical to prescribe you scheduled drugs. I am bound by the rules of law to not to give any online prescriptions. Hence you will have to see the physician for the medicines that you require.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wish you good health.