For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to

General Surgeon
Question
For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to touch. Its about a 1-2 inch spot that hurts. It feels like a bruise is there, but there is no visible bruise or swelling there. It does not hurt when I walk, run, exercise, etc. No pain when I bear weight on it and no aching. It only hurts when I put pressure on this spot. The spot is on my anterior shin about 6 inches under my knee. Is this shin splints? I used to get them when I was younger (I'm 31 now), but I thought shin splints would hurt when I exercise as well? What's confusing me is that there is only pain when I put pressure on the spot. Im also worried its something more serious (bone cancer) Should I see a doctor?
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X-ray should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Usually such symptoms are caused by a local inflammation of the soft tissues. It may be to some injury, even one you may not thing to be significant. Shin splints hurts when you perform exercises indeed. However your pain may be associated with regular physical activity in the past.
Bone cancer is a rare condition, however it is always good to rule it out. The best you can do is to have this area x-ray (it should greatly rule any bone cancer out) and soft tissues ultrasound.
Physical therapy like criotherapy, laser therapy etc. usually helps with such problems.
You may also apply lukewarm compresses. If its an inflammation, you should see some improvement.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Follow-up: For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to 25 minutes later
Ok. I'm going to be honest, I have health anxiety and every little ache/pain leads. e to think it's cancer. In the past two months, I have had a back xray of spine and a knee xray. Both were normal. I don't really want another xray unless it's absolutely necessary. Do you think it is? Or do you think I can wait to see if it gets better first? Also, if it were bone cancer would it hurt all the time and not just when I press on it? thanks!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
I do not thing it is a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Generally, cancer is always the rarest condition at your age. And I just have mentioned it, because you asked about it. But for 99% it is not a cancer. Otherwise, you would notice pain witch gets worse constantly. Also sooner or alter, bony tumor would be visible.
Pain is usually for the inflammation. Cancer is mostly painless. So for sure, you may just wait and see.