Foot pain in both feet, testicular cancer, chemotherapy, adderall, disc changes, neuropathy

I have extreme foot pain in both feet. Three years ago I has testicular cancer.....saw the best doctor in the world and he saved my life. I had stage three cancer and dr. XXXXXXX from the cleveland clinic put me through 8rounds of chemotherapy. Well after my treatment I was put on adderral for chemotherapy brain.......both my feet soon after got a burning pain feeling. I have suffered with it for a year now. I stopped taking adderral this past Friday for three days my feet felt better but not back to my old self. Is there any reason adderral would cause this problem? I also saw a foot doctor because of the chance of neuropathy.....but tests said it was the l-5 disk in my back. Which I have had for years and it never caused pain in my feet. Soon as I started the adderral I remember theain starting. Please help if it may be the cause I want to get weaned off it asap. I would rather deal with the ADHD than live miserable with horrible foot pains.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 4 hours later

Adderall which is given in ADHD has not known to cause side effects of foot pain. The foot pain may be due to neuropathy which could be due to many reasons . To mention a few , diabetes, vitamin deficiencies , nerve entrapments , autoimmune conditions , alcohol and other drug use, side effects of chemotherapy medicines can all be a few causes. Since the doctor does not see the cause as neuropathy in you, we must think of other reasons.

As the doctor has examined you for disc related changes , I would also consider the same as one of the reason for the foot pain.

It would not be a good idea to stop ADDERALL on your won , as it is a drug for psychiatric use and such medicines will have to be closely monitored with respect to change in dose or even weaning the drug, it has to be done only by the doctor treating you,as they will have side effects on abrupt withdrawal. Moreover , this drug is not the cause for your foot pain, so do not stop it .

I suggest you talk to your doctor about this and get a review on the disc related changes , you may need a MRI if the doctor suggests , till then good rest and some pain killers, multivitamins , will help you .

I hope I answered your query , I would be available for follow up queries as well .