Foot is red and swollen, no pain. What should be done?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
my mothers foot is all red and swollen including her toes is there something she can do. they feel funny but don't hurt.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 2 hours later
Thanks for asking your query here.

You have not mentioned whether she is currently taking any medications or not.

Foot swelling has many causes, ranging from low protein levels, poor peripheral circulation of blood or poor heart pumping. Since she hasn't got any pain, local infection or Arthritis is unlikely.

Is there any variation in swelling during the day? Many patients tend to develop swelling towards the end of the day, due to upright position whole day and slightly weaker walls of blood vessels in leg.

I would suggest following things:
1. Get her blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked along with physical examination by doctor
2. She may need blood testing to check her protein levels, Hb and renal function tests (kidney function)
3. Based on examination, doctor will be in a position to discuss the cause of leg swelling and suggest appropriate treatment
4. Please keep legs elevated during sleep by putting pillows under the heels.

Please revert back with answers to my questions and will be glad to assist you further.

Dr Tejas