Foot and ankle is swollen. Decreases with elevation and diuretics. Had edema and no pain. Could I travel by flight?

I am visiting florida from Maryland. i arrived last Wednesday. on sunday (a week ago), my foot and ankle became significantly swollen (right only). the swelling has continued since then. it will decrease some with elevation and diuretics, but increases again by evening when elevation is not continuous. I have had minor swelling of both ankles/feet, chronically, in the evenings after I work (I stand/walk around nearly continuously for 8-hour shifts as a nurse), but this edema is more than usual. no pain, no warmth, no Homan's sign. I have consumed much more salty foods in past week than I do at home.
I plan to fly home (2 1/2 hour flight) on Wednesday this week. what do you think?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs assessment

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending your question.

Unfortunately I think you do need to see a doctor or medical professional for a good consultation and assessment. I think you might need an ultrasound to make sure there is no blood clot in your leg. It is unusual to have swelling in just one leg related to fluid retention.

I realize that you do not have any of the classic signs of deep vein thrombosis. at the same time it is reasonable to perform a thorough assessment to rule this out especially if you are traveling in the near future.

Thanks again for sending your question. I am available if you have any follow-up questions regarding this issue.

Dr. Galamaga