Food tastes like plastic. Why ?

For several months now, all the food I eat tastes like plastic. What could that be a symptom of?

I have not changed medications or mineral supplements.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms that you are having can be due to dysgeusia. Dysgeusia is the distortion or decrease of the sense of taste.A very common cause is deficiency of zinc and vit B3.Try taking some multivitamin-multimineral supplements for some days and see if the symptoms persist.

If the symptoms persist then other possibilities have to be probed.These include poor oral hygiene,fungal infections on the tongue or in the mouth area,endocrine disorders like diabetes,hypothyroidism, acid reflux and anxiety attacks.

Try having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the plastic taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also.

If the symptoms persist then consult a physician and get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels done. Also get a dental check up done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.