Food poisoning, stomach flu, severe abdominal pain, itchy skin. Causes ?

Question
hi i am 53yrs old,about5"11 and i either got food poisoning or the stomach flu last week,now i am experiencing severe pain under my right rib and a sunburn sensation on my skin.i feel fine but have very sharp pain.its not low enough to be my appendix,any help to tell me what is going on? i still have an appetite and feel fine after eating and drinking.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. For these symptoms, three possibilities are coming to my mind which should be evaluated. These are:

1)     The first possibility for severe pain under the rib and a sunburn sensation is of herpes zoster or shingles. The first sign is usually a sun burn like feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin of the trunk. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the trunk which progresses into fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days.

2)     The second possibility is of cholecystitis or inflammation of the gall bladder which can be due to stones in the gall bladder. The diagnosis of the same is usually confirmed with the help of an ultrasound.

3)     The third possibility which comes to my mind is of pleuritis or inflammation of the pleura which is a lining of the lungs. You need to get an ultrasound of CT scan of the area and chest done to rule out this possibility.

Please get these investigations done to rule out these possibilities.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Food poisoning, stomach flu, severe abdominal pain, itchy skin. Causes ? 6 hours later
what is the treatment of gallstones? will they just go away?is there anything holistic that can help?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

Gall stones do not go away on their own. The first line of treatment is by oral ursodeoxycholic acid, but it may be required that the patient takes this medication for up to two years. Second method of treatment is by using a procedure called lithotripsy (cholecystectomy which is done either by open surgery or by laparoscopy.

So it is better to get an ultrasound done to rule out any gall stones and then consult a surgeon to decide the best treatment option for you depending on the size of stones.

Regards.