Food got stuck in throat. Cannot swallow anything now. What to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i was eating last eveing & when i swalloed the food got stuck in my throat, i mhad just swallowed just bfore that & had no prolem, i still cannot swallow food or liquids.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Dear sir. If you cannot swallow anything this is something abnormal and you should visit ENT-doctor or gastroenterologist for endoscopic procedure which can visualize is there any obstruction or not. Also it would verify if there is throat inflammation. If swallowing is only painful or difficult try to drink a lot of liquids till you feel better,but if it persist go to hospital. Some serious disorders can cause this and it shouldnt be ignored. Beside esophageal obstruction and throat inflammation this can be resulting from some neurologic issue so if nothing is found on endoscopy you should see neurologist for further plans.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help