Food gets stuck, difficulty in swallowing, reflux, anxious, stress, taken antacids, prevacid, pepcid

I spoke to Dr. Oberoi in January because I was having intermittant problems with food getting stuck. I've had it off and on for several years. I told him that twice I had had the food come back up. I can't drink or swallow until it passes and then I burp alot. I tend to have alot of acid and reflux sometimes. I am anxious and worry alot about health even though I have no major health issues. Dr. Oberoi was convinced it was due to acid and advised a course of antacids. He said Previcid but I had pepcid so I took 20 mg twice a day for about a month. I had no incidents at all during that time and for another few months after stopping. I did take the pepcic on ocassion if I felt the acid. Recently I'm been stressed and have felt the acid coming back more. Then I had another incident where the food got stuck and it came up and then I was fine but scared. That was a week and a half ago. I'm back on the antacids with no further incidents. I should happen that I had let my guard down and was eating quickly without thinking about chewing properly like I had been for quite some time after I spoke to Dr. O. He also said stress was a major contributing factor. My fear now is does having that incident again mean he was wrong and I do need to worry or does the fact that the antacids worked mean he was right and I should do as I'm doing. I really really don't want to go to a specialists and have tests I don't need and can't afford but I am fearful and that isn't helping anything....
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later

Let me first say that I do not think you are dealing with any XXXXXXX or life-threatening condition here. I agree with the recommendation of pepcid or prevacid which I usually have patients take with morning meal. If acid reflux is contributing to your symptoms then it should gradually improve over a number of months.

At the same time it is possible that you might have a bit of narrowing of a small part of the esophagus which creates a greater propensity in your case to have these episodes which you describe. I realize your preference to avoid seeing a specialist but I really think an evaluation by a gastroenterologist would provide you with helpful information and possibly a complete solution to the problem.

A gastroenterologist has the ability to look in the esophagus, stomach and part of the small intestine to evaluate for anything which might be playing a role here. This includes a hiatal hernia, a stricture of the esophagus or irritation of the esophagus and stomach. This is all done via a tiny camera that is inserted into the esophagus during a minor procedure. It is a brief procedure lasting 10 to 15 minutes. I realize the inconvenience and cost associated with seeing a specialist is a concern but I firmly believe that it is worth the investment.

I hope this information has been both helpful and informative for you. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: Food gets stuck, difficulty in swallowing, reflux, anxious, stress, taken antacids, prevacid, pepcid 12 minutes later
Is this anything urgent esp. as I have no problems when I don't eat quickly and am taking the antacids? Can I atleast relax about it?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello again,

Absolutely! Please relax, monitor things for the time being, eat slowly, chew food completely and think about visiting with a specialist at some point in the next 6 months.

I wish you all the best and continued optimal health.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Food gets stuck, difficulty in swallowing, reflux, anxious, stress, taken antacids, prevacid, pepcid 1 hour later
Okay, thankyou. One more thing...if I do all these things (I also eat yogurt and take probiotics) and the problem improves as it did before, is there still a reason to go to the specialist? I mean, do I go even if I'm not having issues in 6 mos. of doing all the right things? Thanks again!!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Thanks for the query,

If your symptoms are gone in 6 months then there is no need to see a specialist at that point.

With any persistence of symptoms, however, I suggest you talk to your doctor about seeing the specialist.

Again try to focus on eating appropriately and I am hopeful that will help resolve things for you soon.

I wish you all the best and continued good health.

Dr. Galamaga