Folluculites in armpit , swollen lymph nodes, normal complete blood count, taken antibiotic, red pimples

Folluculites in armpit and Swollen Lymph Nodes
I recently had some bad staph in my axilla region. That's what my doc told me. Suddenly I had like many red pimples in both the axilary regions. Doc gave some antibiotics and the pimples went away in a week. But I still have some small swollen areas. Doc told me they were lymph nodes swollen because of the infection I had. So he prescribed me more antibiotics. My question is "Are swollen lymph nodes caused becuase of the folluclites I had? or is it something else?" Does staph in that region cause swollen lymph nodes in that area. The nodes were painful and the pain went away in a day after starting anibiotics. but I still have 1 small node a little tender(mildly painful only when i squeez) on one side and a negligible one the other side. Should I be concerned? Now They almost look like they are fading away. I just read that swollen lymphnodes mite be cancerous. If it was serious would not have doctor suspected something? He also ordered Complete BLOOD CELL COUNT and the results were normal. Should I be concerned?? I am little worried as I never had any thing like this before. Plese help me.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later

Bacterial infection in hairy areas and body folds like axillae are common and nothing serious.
Infection can spread from skin appendages to the draining lymph nodes and can lead to swollen and painful lymph nodes.

A proper course of antibiotic is all it requires to treat the same and at times though the original infected area like follicles responds in a couple of days, the lymph nodes might take long to subside.

After a course of a higher antibiotic to cure the lesions, we normally shift to a mild antibiotic like doxycycline for a couple of week to treatment any remnant infection if any and to prevent recurrence.

The condition is acute and is not at all carcinogenic.

Only lesions which remain unaffected with medication for long need to be biopsied or removed surgically (very rare).

In your case the history is acute and there is nothing to worry.

Just take a mild antibiotic for a couple of weeks under your doctor’s guidance.