Following the prescribed diet. Does olive help in lowering cholesterol?

Hi Doctor, I am already take diet chart from you and doing regular diet as per chart. But I have one query, that one of my friend told me that Olive is good for reduce cholesterol. Is that really good for health he ask me to eat 3 Olive in Morning by empty stomach. Kindly tell me that is that really good or what?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

Yes, olive is good for lowering cholesterol. It is good for health.
Olive oil is used to prevent heart attack and stroke (cardiovascular disease), breast cancer, colorectal cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, constipation, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and migraine headache.

Fatty acids in olive oil seem to decrease cholesterol levels and have anti-inflammatory effects. It has a high concentration of monounsaturated fatty acids, which studies show promote "good" cholesterol (HDL) while lowering "bad" cholesterol (LDL).

The cholesterol-lowering effects of olive oil are even greater if you choose extra-virgin olive oil, meaning the oil is less processed and contains more heart-healthy antioxidants. Use about 2 tablespoons (23 grams) of olive oil a day in place of other fats in your diet to get its heart-healthy benefits. You can eat 3 olives in morning too.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up.